Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format used to present documents in a manner that is independent of the implementation of software, hardware, and operating systems. Each PDF file encapsulates a complete description of a fixed-layout flat document, including the text, fonts, graphics, and other information needed to display it.
During certain operations while working on PDF document, it is found certain times that the file is unable to open. The reason could be any of the following:
- Sudden shutdown: Many times due to a sudden power cut or any other reasons, the computer turns off abruptly which ultimately increases the chances of PDF file(s) corruption as the system closes all the opened files improperly during the shutdown.
- Virus attack: Computer viruses are malicious programs that are designed in a way that they corrupt file system of your computer or damage saved files. If your computer is contaminated with any such virus, then chances of corruption of PDF files are high.
- Generation of bad sectors on your data storage device: The data storage devices like your local hard drive, external hard drive, pen drive, etc can develop bad sectors over time. If your PDF file is saved on the bad sector of your storage media, then it may get corrupt.
- Size of PDF File: Since PDF is not a database that can handle and manage a very large amount of information, therefore, if your PDF file is large in size then also the chances of its corruption get higher.
Apart from all this, power outage, system or issues with acrobat versions, and various PDF errors that play a major role in haunting the user are as follows:
- Format error: not a PDF or corrupted.
- File is corrupt or damaged.
- The root object is missing or invalid.
- File does not begin with %PDF.